Ferial Haffajee Biography
Ferial Haffajee was born on 20th February 1967 in Johannesburg, South Africa. She is a South African journalist and newspaper editor. She is the Editor-at-large of The Huffington Post, South Africa.
Ferial Haffajee Education Background
She matriculated from Bosmont High School and went on to study Law at Witwatersrand University for two years but dropped it and ended up studying English and African Literature and graduated in 1989 with a Bachelor of Arts degree
Ferial Haffajee Career
After graduation she worked at the Centre for Applied Legal Studies at Wits but left to work for the Weekly Mail as a trainee journalist.After two years of working at the Weekly Mail, Ferial turned to broadcast journalism and ended up at the SABC in 1991.
In 1994, she joined the Financial Mail of which she was eventually appointed the Managing Editor in 2002. Then in 2003, she was appointed Associated Editor of the Mail and Guardian and eventually became Editor in 2004. She was the first female editor of a major newspaper in South Africa. After five successful years at the helm, she resigned in 2009 to become the editor of the City Press.
December 2016 – Present: Editor-at-large of The Huffington Post, South Africa.
2011 – Present: Board Member of the International Press Institute.
2013: Speaker, Tomorrow’s Leaders Convention.
2009 – November 2016: Editor in Chief of the City Press.
2004 – 2009: Editor of the Mail and Guardian.
1997 – 2004: Senior Editor of the Financial Mail.
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do
1991: Trainee Journalist at Weekly Mail.
Ferial Haffajee Books
- What If There Were No Whites in South Africa?
- Real Beauty Jodi Bieber
Ferial Haffajee Awards
- Top Woman in Media, MTN & The Media Magazine
- Women of the Year for Media, Shoprite/Checkers
- Sanlam Economic Reporting Finalist
- Magazine Journalism, Mondi Awards
- Sanlam Economic Reporting
Ferial Haffajee Membership
- Board member of the International Womens Media Foundation,
- Board member of the World Editors Forum.
- Board member of the International Press Institute
- Board member of the Inter Press Service.
Ferial Haffajee Husband
- Her husband is Paul Stober who is the deputy editor and political editor of the Mail and Guardian.