Lebo Mathosa Biography
Lebo Mathosa was born on 17th July 1977 in Germiston, East Rand in South Africa and died on 23rd October 2006. She was a South African Kwaito musician.
Lebo Mathosa Education Background
- Lebo attended St. Mary’s High School
Lebo Mathosa Career
Her singing career began when she was just 7 years in the local church choir. At the age of 14 years she was discovered by Don Laka, a music producer, who put her in the group Boom Shaka which comprised of Thembi Seete, Theo Nhlengethwa and Junior Sokhela.
The group, Boom Shaka, became the most successful Kwaito groups of the ’90’s. Their first single It’s about time became a hit overnight. The single became an anthem for teenagers and young adults all over the country.
In 1999, Mathosa went solo and her first solo album ‘Dream’ went gold within weeks of is launch.
In 2004 she topped the charts and made history when she was nominated in the Best African Act category of the UK’s Music of Black Origin (MOBO) awards.
In 2005 when MTV inaugurated its first local music channel in Africa with a live broadcast from a nightclub in Sandton, a Johannesburg suburb.
Lebo Mathosa Albums
- 2000: Dream
- 2004: Drama Queen
- 2006: Lioness.
Lebo Mathosa Songs
- I love Music
- Au Dede
- Ngi Fun’ukugana
- Take Me There
- It’s About Time
- Bran New Day
- Siya Zala Kanjani
- I’ll Meet You In The Long Run
- Don’t Need No Reason
- Should Have Been Me
- Base Ntabeni Ogogo
- Ae Ye Teng
- Dance to the Music
- Oh Jehova
- Spiritual Freedom
- Feel the Heat
- Yadlala Ngam’ Indoda
- Tease Me
- Ma Africa
- First Time lalala
- Don’t Need No Reason
- Nothing Can Stop the Feeling
Lebo Mathosa Acting Career
She tried her hand in acting and she got a role to play in the local soapie ‘Muvhango’
Lebo Mathosa Nominations and Awards
- 2006 she was nominated for a British MOBO Aard for the Best African Act category.
- She was nominated by FHM magazine as one of Africa’s sexiest women.
- 2001: Best dance album ‘Dream’ at South African Music Award
- 2001: Best Female Vocalist for her album ‘Dream’ at South African Music Award.
- 2001: Best Dressed Woman of the year at Style Awards
- 2004: Best Dance Album ‘Drama Queen’at South Africa Music Awards
Lebo Mathosa Death
On 23rd October 2006 Lebo was travelling with her driver when he lost control of the car, leading to hem crashing into a tree.
- 25 Sexual Questions to Ask A Girl
- 45 Things a Girl Wants But Wont Ask For
- 10 Things You’re Doing that are Killing Your Kidneys – Avoid Them
- 25 Really Romantic Ideas to Make Your Lover Melt!
- 60 Really Sweet Things To Say To A Girl
- 19 Things Women in Relationships Must Not Do; Men Hate Them
- 20 Things Women Should Never, Ever, Do