Benjamin Mkapa Tanzania Biography
Benjamin Mkapa was born in 1938 in Ndanda, near Masasi in southern Tanganyika. He graduated from Makerere University in Uganda in 1962 with a degree in English.
Benjamin Mkapa Tanzania Career
- Benjamin William Mkapa was born in 1938 in Ndanda, near Masasi in southern Tanganyika. He graduated from Makerere University in Uganda in 1962 with a degree in English.
- He also attended Columbia University in 1963 and was awarded a master’s degree in international affairs.
- He also led the Tanzania mission to Canada in 1982 and to the United States from 1983 to 1984. He was the Minister of Foreign Affairs from 1977 to 1980 and again from 1984 to 1990.
- In 1995, Benjamin William Mkapa was elected as President based on a popular anti-corruption campaign and the strong support of former president Julius Nyerere.
- Benjamin William Mkapa,s second five-year term of office as President ended in December 2005. During this term in office, Mkapa privatized state-owned corporations and instituted free market policies. His supporters argued that attracting foreign investment would promote economic growth.
- Benjamin Mkapa has been criticized for some ineffectiveness of his anti-corruption efforts as well as for his lavish spending.
- He spent £15 million on a private presidential jet, as well as almost £30 million on military aviation equipment which experts deemed beyond the limited needs of the country’s armed forces. It was over the latter purchase that British International Development Secretary Clare Short expressed public outrage, resulting in her becoming known as ‘Mama Radar’ in the Tanzanian press.
- Having left office due to a two-term limit, Mkapa is dogged by many accusations of corruption among them improperly appropriating to himself and his former finance Minister Daniel Yona the lucrative “Kiwira Coal Mine” in the southern highlands of Tanzania without following procedures. By privatizing the Kiwira Coal Mine to himself, he broke the Tanzanian constitution, which does not allow a president to do business at the state house.
- Benjamin Mkapa served as a Trustee of Aga Khan University from November 2007 until 2012.
Benjamin Mkapa Tanzania Honorary Degrees
University – Country – Degree – Year
1. Sōka University Japan Honoris Causa 1998
2. Morehouse College United States Honoris Causa 1999
3. The Open University of Tanzania Tanzania Honoris Causa 2003
4. National University of Lesotho Lesotho Doctor of Law 2005
5. Kenyatta University Kenya Doctor of Education 2005
6. University of Dar es Salaam Tanzania Honoris Causa 2006
7. Newcastle University United Kingdom Doctor of Civil Law 2007
8. University of Cape Coast Ghana Doctor of Lers 2008
9. Makerere University Uganda Doctor of Law 2009
Benjamin Mkapa Tanzania Legacy
1. Benjamini Mkapa hall in Mbeya city located in Sokomatola street.
2. Benjamini Mkapa road in Zanzibar, connecting Mtoni kidatu area to Abeid Aman Karume Airport via Daraja Bovu
3. Mkapa Bridge, the longest bridge in the country (970 metres)
4. Benjamin William Mkapa Pension Tower, one of the tallest buildings in the country
5. Benjamin William Mkapa Special Economic Zone
6. Mererani B W Mkapa Secondary School in Manyara Region
7. Benjamin William Mkapa High School in Dar es Salaam